Thank you for taking the time to download the soundpack! This document provides instructions for installing and running the soundpack, as well as references to useful commands built into the pack. It is highly recommended you read the other files in this folder as well to answer any questions you have. Aciath thanks you for doing your part to keep what's left of his sanity intact.
Included in the main soundpack directory is a file called sounds.ini. This file has been optimized to allow VIP to play up to 100 sound files at a time. Just copy sounds.ini into your C:\Program Files (x86)\VIPMud 2.0 folder and answer yes to the replace file prompt if you would like to take advantage of this feature.
To install this soundpack, first go and obtain it. Several methods have been implemented for downloading the soundpack as well as all future updates.
1. There is the standard .zip file. The link to obtain this is, aciath.com/Ateraan.zip
Note, this link should never change, so bookmark it if you'd like.
2. A shared Dropbox folder has been created as well. If you'd like to be invited to the folder, just let Aciath know and you will be invited as soon as possible.
First, you will need to go and make sure all the information is correct in the connection setup wizard within VIPMud. several questions have been asked about this, so answers will be provided.
Under the Connect menu within VIPMud's menu structure, find the Character Setup/Connect option. Hit enter on that and you'll be dropped into the connection wizard. A few edit boxes and options will present themselves. The NVDA screen reader does not read these edit boxes, so the window text has been captured and is shown below. Fields that are required are marked with asterisks.
- 1.*Character Name*. This is normally the name you give your character within the MUD. Not filling this out will cause the pack to throw errors. Note: This cannot be "Unnamed" and cannot contain spaces.
- 2. *Character Reference*. A unique name that VIPMud uses to identify your character. It is usually the same as your character name, or if you use this character in other MUDs, a name closely related. Not filling this out will cause the pack to throw errors. Note: This cannot be "Unnamed" and cannot contain spaces.
- 3. MUD List. This list is compiled from other characters you have created. If you have already entered a character for a MUD, the MUD name will appear here. Select the MUD and press Enter. The MUD related information will automatically be filled in. If there is no reference to the MUD, Tab past this list and enter the MUD information in the following three edit boxes.
- 4. *MUD Name*. The name the MUD calls itself. For the pack to work correctly, the MUD name must be Ateraan.
- 5. *Host Name*. The address to the MUD. The address to connect to Ateraan is ateraan.com.
- 6. *Port Number*. The port number is usually in the form of two to four digits and is usually supplied with the host name. The port for Ateraan is 4002.
- 7. Notes and Descriptions. A text box that is used to enter any information you need to remember regarding your character.
- 8. Password. The password of the character. This information is securely encrypted in VIPMud and cannot be retrieved. If enabled, this information is used to automatically log your character into the MUD.
- 9. Auto Login Checkbox. Check this if you would like your character logged in automatically. It uses the alias "login" from within start.set to perform this function. If this alias doesn't work for a specific MUD, you can make the appropriate changes.
- 10. Keep Variable Values checkbox. When checked, VIPMud will save your original and current variables files when you exit the character. They are automatically loaded the next time you load the character.
- 11. Simple Script Control checkbox. When checked, VIPMud will use the simple scripting file control method. See the "Using Script Files" section of the VIPMud manual for more details on this function.
After you have obtained the soundpack and completed the necessary steps from within VIPMud, select all from within the downloaded folder, then locate your VIPMud directory. Assuming you haven't moved the directory, it will be in your documents directory. The directory name should look something like this: C:\users\insertUsername\Documents\VIPMud Paste the downloaded folders content, then either restart VIPMud, or use the #reload command from within the game.
Upon first run of the pack, you must complete the following steps.
- 1. Copy settings.set that is located in the root directory of the soundpack, then paste this file in the ateraan folder. Failing to copy this file will load the pack with very odd settings values, including audio volume being all the way at 100 percent. Users who already have settings how they'd like, feel free to ignore this file unless you lose all your settings data.
- 2. Launch VIPMud. You will then need to set up your settings like buffers, volumes, toggles, ETC. Please see the help files for aliases and keys.
- Finally, save your packs settings with the alias SpSave. Failing to follow the directions by not typing this will throw endless errors if you try to load the pack once more. If this happens, just type SaveBuffers, and you'll be fine. It is not my fault if you fail to do this. It's also a good idea to back up your buffer settings and general pack settings after you get them how you'd like.
If everything went according to plan, you should have a fully working pack! If something goes wrong, please go through and read the installation instructions outlined above and apply any changes necessary before contacting Aciath.
If by chance you find that a sound has gotten stuck, or is not acting as expected, you may use the alias StopSound, or the key Control-F11 to stop all currently playing sounds.
To report bugs or submit suggestions, either use the blind channel, oTell Aciath, join the discord or email me at email@example.com.
If you start seeing messages about error logged, not simply error, you'll need to reconfigure your settings. This is do to a bug with settings code that should be fixed soon.